In this article, besides a clear understanding of anxiety and relationships, I would like to give you some solutions to deal with your fears in a relationship as well. Actually, I will cover questions like: What causes anxiety in relationships? How do you love someone with anxiety? How to treat these problems?
As a takeaway, you will learn some ways and activities to eliminate relationship anxiety. When the topic would be not detailed enough, I will recommend you a good book to read.
Transparency: This page contains affiliate links. By purchasing any book via the link provided below, I may receive a little commission on the sale at no additional cost to you. I advertise this book because I believe that it helps you become more confident. Thank you for helping this blog keep alive! Enjoy your readings.
There are various and infinite deductions you might be encountering fear in your relationship and complications dominating your absent sentiments. Anxiety in relationships is not a new theory.
Seldom, the problem can be left with unsolved temper issues in your relationship; To understand anxiety and relationships, you need to look for the pain first, originating from the emotional loneliness and breakdown you are experiencing.
Anxiety ruins relationships if not identified and treated right. The solution depends upon the idea following your fear. To get over relationship anxiety, you must begin healing and winning back the lost trust. It will help you feel supported and stable in your relationship. That is why it is vital to look at the possible causes of fear, and then we will move to the ways to deal with them accordingly.
When you are stressed out, feared, and dealing with ultimate anxiety, the only thing pinching your mind are the following questions, and in search of the answers to these questions, you become more vulnerable.
- Why do I have a lack of interest in the relationship?
- Why does my partner’s normal behavior bother me?
- How long will our relationship last?
- Why do I get insecure?
- Why have I lost the motivation and enthusiasm in our relationship, or is it my spouse responsible for that?
- Can my partner leave me being fed up with my anxious behavior?
- How could I get over the relationship anxiety?
Can Anxiety Ruin A Relationship?
The answer is yes! Anxiety ruins relationships, and you need to get rid of the demon of fears so that you further lead an emotionally and physically healthy life with your partner. There are many factors involved in relationship anxiety so are their solutions. I would like to recommend a book from which I got so much knowledge and help get over relationship anxiety.
Michelle Miller is a profound psychologist specialist in anxiety disorders, couples therapy, anxiety, and relationship issues, etc. Her family serves the social field as psychologists and psychotherapists for two generations. She has successfully applied Acceptance and Commitment Therapy (It is exclusively for couples) for many years and attempts to convey all her experiences and abilities related to the human psyche.
This book covers:
- General Anxiety;
I also recommend that you read her other writings, which show research in the field: Anxiety in Relationship, Couple Therapy, Acceptance, and Commitment Therapy. The concerns related to anxiety and relationships which make you more anxious are explained thoroughly in this book by the author.
The impact of anxiety in relationships and the ideas to get over with relationship anxiety. Trying to fix the issues by making oneself a better and bigger person if your partner is anxious and suffering from relationship anxiety.
What causes anxiety in relationships?
Anxiety and relationships don’t constantly have anything to do with aggressive approaches or activities. Instead, it may mean that you are scared of being in love, opening completely, loving your spouse, and everything else being in a married relationship can bring. So let’s take a look at the most common reasons people have anxiety in relationships:
- Relationships sometimes have undiscovered boundaries. The risk of getting exposed and vulnerable could trigger your inner defense and make you fearful. You would rather get over with the relationship instead of your fear;
- Your former associations and love life and family-related nostalgic bruises can affect your current relationship. The anxiety in relationships might be because your previous intimate bonds affect your strength to invest in a new one. Simply you do not want to get hurt again;
- Fear of losing current friends, social circle, and family are also there when you are deeply involved with someone you fear that your whole world would fall apart with this one relationship;
- The other weird but usual reason is that you fear that you will lose your own identity if you continue with the relationship. Surprisingly you can not stand the thought of being changed because of the partner’s influence. You do not want to compromise your individuality;
- You fear that the fun and happiness you are having right now will vanish at some point in time, and you will be left alone in the darkness;
- You may fear the lack of equality means you could think that the amount of love and trust you are giving to your partner will not get the equivalent devotion from your spouse.
How do you love someone with anxiety?
Establishing and sustaining a strong and lasting relationship with another person is one of life’s best graces. You can strengthen it by learning from your past mistakes and handling the partner if dealing with stress and anxiety. It would be best to let go of your spouse’s mistakes out of fear while dealing with anxiety and relationships.
Anxiety and relationships are not restricted to old, former, new, married, intimate, broken, and other kinds of relations. You want to figure out something exactly, so you’re not sure whether or not you’re doing the right thing.
Relationship anxiety is not limited, and many people are here already. There are also things you can do in relationships to overcome the fear and get over relationship anxiety. You need to identify the real cause of the anxiety in the first place before dealing with it.
How do I stop my anxiety from ruining my relationship?
Learning how to overcome your fear and anxiety in relationships is eminent when you are trying to be part of a loving, supportive, and nurturing relationship.
You need to understand the first three phases of your fear that cause your anxiety. It is important to understand the connection between anxiety and relationships and then plan accordingly to overcome the fear.
- Realize that the discomfort you’re experiencing is fear and relationship anxiety;
- Detect within yourself the reason behind your anxiety and relationship fear;
- Strive to defeat your relationship fears.
Also, do not refrain from talking to experienced and educated people around you. The main reason for writing this article is to help you out and make you realize that it may ruin your relationship forever if you do not get over relationship anxiety.
Ways to deal with your fear
Once you know that there is a problem and you are all set to deal with anxiety and relationships. Amongst various methods of tackling the anxiety in relationships following five are my favorite and trusted. Although you can try other remedies too. The following five steps are simplistic but exhaustive and practical:
The reasons behind the termination of your previous relationship have a connection with the anxiety and relationship fears you have today. Take a look at your past relationships. Rectify the most significant obstacles and tripping barriers, and try to bring resolutions.
If you are struggling alone in a relationship, do not negatively involve your partner in the inadequacy of your feelings; It will hurt your potential for being in a fulfilling relationship.
Why do you get defensive often in a relationship? Jot down the reasons on a piece of paper and then try to eliminate them one by one.
Allow yourself to truly feel and experience all the incredible feelings a committed relationship can offer. Do not close yourself to the beauty of a loving relationship.
Eventually, let yourself become free and welcome the intrinsic vulnerability that follows. Do not try to protect yourself by closing up.
How to treat Anxiety and Relationship Problems?
Relationship anxiety can only be resolved by facing up to your fears. You need to fix your issues so you can relax and have a nice and comfortable relationship. Anxiety can lead to stress and depression.
So, if you want to create enduring relationships, try to look within yourself. Are you the victim of anxiety in relationships? You can start doing the following activities to get over relationship anxiety.
Activities to eliminate relationship anxiety
- Relationship anxiety often comes from within, so it may have nothing to do with your partner. Good communication is the key; talk it out;
- Try to be mindful if you are stuck in a negative thought;
- Make room for your partner but do not give up your identity;
- Avoid acting on your impulse feelings.
Anxiety ruins relationships; that is the only fact that you should keep in mind while dealing with stress and anxiety in relationships. Because the fear of losing your loved one could help overcome the inner fears and make you strong enough to get over relationship anxiety.
I hope the above article gives a clear understanding and provides some solutions to anxiety and relationships. What about you? Do you have your own remedy for dealing with relationship problems? Go ahead and share your thoughts with us in the comments.